Television has been a source of entertainment to the Indian population since 1970s.
Those days people owned black and white TV sets with antenna which we had to adjust on the roof top.
There was only one channel Doordarshan and the kids loved watching ‘’Spiderman,’’ ‘’Ducktales,’’ ‘’Ramayan,’’ ‘’Mahabharat,’’ ‘’Malgudi Days,’’ and ‘’Chitrahaar.’’
Then came the era of colored TV sets in the 1980s and Philips, BPL, Onida, Oscar and similar players ruled the market.
Owning a 20 inch color TV was the symbol of luxury. The good old CRT television has long disappeared from most store shelves as many are turning to plasma, LCD (liquid crystal display) and LED (Light emitting diode) TVs.
Since there are too many options available in the market, and when we go to an electronics store like Ezone, Reliance Digital, Croma etc. the sales personnel often suggest variants which are included in their sales target. Let’s understand a bit about their technology, and then make an informed choice ourselves.
We Highly recommend you to read the LED TV Buying Guide at the end of this article to get in-depth knowledge about latest LED TV technologies and tips on making an informed decision about which product to buy for your needs 🙂
Top 10 Best 32-Inch LED TVs Under 20000 in India
Although my favorite among all is Panasonic Viera Shinobi TH-32E460D but you must check all of them to make your buying decision.
At this price-point, this is one of the best LED TVs in the market. The sound quality is great and picture clarity is awesome with 100 hertz refresh rate.
Brightness and color-production is very close to natural colors.
- Powered by Hexa chroma drive; Picture mode - Dynamic/normal/cinema/true cinema, you would love your movie viewing experience. This TV uses an advanced color-processing technology.
- Panasonic Installation and servicing is prompt.
- The wall-mount is shipped with the TV unit and it will save space in your home.
- It weighs 6 Kgs only and is quite light weight.
- Since it is not a smart TV, you cannot connect it to the wifi system of your home and watch movies directly.
- The media player does not remember the position where a movie is was paused.
If you are looking a sleek looking LED TV to enjoy your favourite TV series or movies, then this will be one of the most recommended ones from our end.
This TV is engineered with HyperReal Engine technology. The viewing experience will be awesome from the house of Samsung which has been a world-leader in TV manufacturing since 1963.
This South Korean multinational conglomerate built this TV for the middle-class working professionals in India with enhanced video display.
- It comes with wide color enhancer.
- You can view bright pictures from any angle.
- It consumes only 56 Watts.
- It is loaded with advanced auto-noise removal technology which removes Analog and Digital noise from air and from the cable.
- It weighs 15.5 Kgs and is quite bulky in weight.
- Not a smart TV.
If you want to watch pre-recorded programs, and do not have the budget for a smart TV, then this is one of the best budget TVs for you.
You can enjoy your smartphone’s content on a big screen, make video calls, and enjoy your favorite reality shows and movies on this entertainment box.
- It weighs only 4.9 Kgs and is very light-weight.
- Color Master Engine feature will ensure that your audio-visual experience is phenomenal.
- This TV comes along with built-in games like Monster World, Jump Jump, Run & Dash, Bobble Pong, Valentine etc.
- The TV gives perfect side angle viewing.
- Not a smart TV. Does not connect via ethernet, wifi or any other form of internet.
- There is some video noise during darker scenes from Blue Ray or DVD content display.
- Sometimes non-permanent image retention happens, especially for gamers with static images.
This entertainment gadget produces brilliant flicker-free progressive scan pictures.
The brightness, colors, sharp images powered by 120 Hz perfect motion rate (PMR) is the ultimate entertainment box for you.
Pixel Plus HD will provide you with a combination of natural detailing, vibrant colours and smooth natural motion on all qualities of HD and SD signals and multimedia content.
- It weighs only 5.1 Kgs and is very light-weight.
- At a refresh rate of 120 hertz, the picture quality is one of the best in this range.
- The USB connector will allow you to access your jpeg photos, mp3 music and video files through all types of USB drives.
- Not a smart TV.
- Some customers have complained that the USB port is not very effective, and if you insert a pen drive, it takes a longer time for the gadget to read the contents.
Even though this is a 39 inch TV, we have included it in this review is due to its price-point.
This can be an ideal TV to be kept in your kids’ room for them to use it for gaming and other entertainment purposes.
Overall it’s not a bad product to buy at a pocket-friendly price.
- It weighs only 6.46 Kgs and is very light-weight.
- Most of the other TV manufacturers provide 1 year warranty, however, this one comes with 1.5 years of warranty.
- You can connect and play PS4.
- Not a smart TV.
- Some customers have complained about TCL customer service and delay in installation by the technicians. Also check for the availability of service centers in your area before buying it.
If you are looking for a smart TV in this range, then this is the one to go for.
It comes along with pre-installed Hungama Play, Google Playstore, Opera TV, YouTube, Eros Now, Yupp TV, PC Cast, Wireless Smartphone Control.
- It weighs only 4.32 Kgs and is very light-weight.
- It is a smart TV and will connect to the internet.
- Built in Wifi with Hotspot, Ethernet
- Comes with 3 years of warranty (Amazon) which most of the other TVs in this range does not come.
- The Crystal Luminous Color Polarization technology is gaining popularity due to its ability to provide amazing viewing experience.
- You can wirelessly connect your computer or laptop with PC Cast when you need a big screen to complete your PPT presentations/homework for your kids' school projects.
- Play at your leisure with some of the in-built popular games like Minesweeper, Snake, Basketball etc.
- Though the company claims that you can use your phone as remote control for this TV, some customers have complained that they are not able to do so. There might be software compatibility issues.
- Some customers have complained that they are unable to cast their mobile phones on TV screen.
If you are looking for a TV which plays 4K content in this range, then your search ends here.
This is an HD Ready TV will take you to a different level of TV viewing along with powerful sound with front-firing speakers.
- It weighs only 4.32 Kgs and is very light-weight.
- It is a smart TV and will connect to the internet. This can even be used as a PC with a big monitor.
- It can be connected via wifi and hotspot.
- The current OS version is often lags. The users have complained that they have to restart the TV multiple times in a day.
If you are looking for a decent LED TV in a very reasonable price, then this is the product for you.
A lot of customers have bought this product and are happy with the picture quality and sound quality.
Many might like the fact that this TV was manufactured in India, not in China.
- It weighs only 4.15 Kgs and is very light-weight.
- With the 3.5mm audio output jack, you can listen to music with your headphones without disturbing others.
- Many customers are very happy with the after sales service of this product and Sanyo seems to be doing a great job in honoring the warranty.
- Not a smart TV. Does not support 4K content.
- There are no external buttons on the monitor. So if you lose your remote control, then you cannot use this TV.
Onida is a brand which is very old in the Indian market and once upon a time was known as ‘’Neighbor’s envy, owner’s pride.’’
The fierce competition from the international brands have made things difficult for this brand, however they have not lost the old charm.
If you are looking for a decent TV with decent features and great picture quality, then this is the one for you.
- It weighs only 6.2 Kgs and is quite light-weight.
- Onida rock FHD TVs has a wide viewing angle of 178 degrees, wherein there will be no change in color from any viewing angle.
- Now view the contents of your PC on the big screen LED with PC audio input features. You can also play games using the same screen.
- Not a smart TV. Does not support 4K content.
- Does not come along 3.5mm jack to connect your headphones.
- After sales support of Onida is not all that great and many customers have complained about it.
#10. Weston WEL-3200S HD
A very recognized Indian brand Weston has launched Smart TVs at a very reasonable price.
This TV is very popular among the younger generation of India who love gaming and prefer to stay connected all the time.
Viewing content directly from your wifi is always a very convenient option.
- It weighs only 6.0 Kgs and is quite light-weight.
- This is a budget-friendly smart TV. Access internet via wifi.
- Connect your smartphone is also your home theatre system and watch the content on big screen.
- Stay connected with pre-loaded applications like WhatsApp, stream videos on YouTube, use Facebook and Skype
- DUAL CORE ENGINE-powered LED TV. Android KitKat OS is running in the back-end.
- Some customers have complained about the after-sales service of the company being below average.
- Remote controls are not very robust.
Buyer's Guide - LED TV Buying Guide in India
LED TV: Features and Functionalities
If you are one of those people, who love to watch a lot of movies, the buying a 4K resolution one will be a great option. Finding the best one under 20K might be a challenge, however, you need to keep that in mind that 4K is the future of TV technology. Now a days, all the LED TVs come with HD resolution.
Technology-wise, both LED and LCD TVs are liquid crystal displays. For a layman to understand, the basic technology is the same. Both television types have two layers of polarized glass and only the placement of the lights on an LED TV differs.
The fluorescent lights in an LCD TV are always behind the screen through which the liquid crystals both block and pass light. LED technology differs from general LCD technology because LCDs use fluorescent lights while LEDs use those light emitting diodes.
Before narrowing down your search, let’s understand the different display types:
While buying the LED TV of your choice, it is always good to check whether your chosen one can stream content directly from the internet. This will save you a lot of hassles of downloading and playing.
Only smart TVS have that capability and in this price range, we only have a few of such TVs.
However, if you increase your budget, you will find many good LED smart TVs.
Most of the LED televisions have plenty of USB and HDMI ports to watch movies from pen drives or your laptop or desktop. It is good to check the positioning of the ports so that you can place your TV as per the architecture of your home.
Also there are TVs available with 1, 2, 3 or 4 HDMI and USB ports. You may wish to review them before making a choice.
Connectivity with Google Chromecast or Amazon Firestick
Also check if your LED TV is a smart TV or not. If you do not own a smart TV, then you cannot connect them to internet/wifi directly. However, you can connect them to Google Chromecast or Amazon Firestick.
After you plug them into the HDMI port and connect them to your home or office WIFI, you can stream the contents from internet.
LED TV: Usage / Purpose
Final Thoughts and Recommendations
Well, we all grew up watching TVs since our childhood. In most of the Indian households, TV is considered the main source of entertainment. With the evolution of technology, now the TV is not only connected to your set-top box for streaming channels, it can also be connected to Amazon prime, Netflix, Hulu and other streaming partners.
You may choose to connect it to your PS3, PS4, Microsoft - Xbox One X and other gaming consoles and experience adrenaline boosting games. You can connect your mobile-phone to your TV and watch the downloaded videos from there. You can also connect your laptop and watch the PPT for your office project on a larger screen.
With so many usages, you need to be careful while buying a smart TV. Besides this is one gadget which we do not change very frequently like mobile phones. Hence it is better to buy one of a good quality which will last for a long time, and will give great picture and sound quality over the years.
Another important aspect is the after-sales service. If that is not good for a brand, I would recommend you not to go for it.
I have been using a Sony TV (Sony Bravia KLV-40NX500 LCD TV) since 2009, and I am very happy with its performance. It is close to ten years now, and I did not need to think about replacing it. Its 40 inch big screen gives me the satisfaction while watching movies or TV reality shows.
My usage is moderate, as I mostly watch it for news channels and movie channels over the weekend. My husband sometimes talks about upgrading it to a TV with 4K features; however, I kind of have been resisting it.
My mother-in-law watches TV soaps during the day time. We also have taken an Amazon prime subscription as our entire family loves to watch movies. The only issue with this TV is that we can not connect it to internet directly.
We have a secondary TV installed in the room of our kids so that they can use it sometimes for doing their homework. Sometimes they like to view their projects on a bigger screen to see the effect. Since they keep on experimenting with different features of MS PowerPoint, we thought of investing on a second TV for them.
We thought of buying a Panasonic TV (80.1 cm (32 inches) Viera TH-W32ES48DX SMART HD Ready) this time. It is a relatively new TV which we bought in Oct. 2017. It will be one year soon, and my kids love this TV. Sometimes they do connect it with their various gaming consoles and play their favorite games. I have not heard them complaining about the TV as such.
A few of my friends and colleagues have invested in Samsung 80 cm (32 inches) FH4003 HD Ready LED TV. Apart from the fact that it is not a smart TV, they are very happy with it. After taking their feedback, a few of them invested in Samsung 80 cm (32 inches) M Series 32M4300 HD Ready LED Smart TV which was launched recently.
The picture quality on both of them are awesome, and they are very happy with their purchase.